Thanksgiving is a little less than a week away and Christmas will be right on it’s heels, which means it’s time to get organized before your trip. We know you’re probably thinking about how much you hate packing. You may even be thinking how on earth can you get organized before a trip if you’re already struggling with organization on a regular basis? Getting your home organized before going out of town will make your trip and your return home less stressful. If you are heading out for the holidays get your home organized before you leave with these tips:
- Clean out the refrigerator. Throw out anything that may go bad while you are away.
- Take out the trash. Empty it right before you head out so you won’t come home to smelly trash.
- Set timers for you lights. Install plug in timers and set multiple lamps in your home to turn on and off at various hours.
- Adjust the thermostat. Since it is getting cool set it at 65 degrees while you are gone.
- Unplug appliances. Unplug all your appliances (except for the refrigerator) because many use energy even when they are turned off. You can even do this when you are home.
- Give a set of keys to a neighbor. Have a friend or neighbor collect your mail and newspapers and leave them inside your home. If no one is available, you can suspend your mail service by visiting your local post office or The United States Postal Service.
Have any other tips for getting organized before a trip? Let us know what they are in the comments section.
Image and tips adapted from Southern Living.