National Preparedness Month, sponsored by Ready America, has been underway since September 1 aiming to help households and communities evaluate how prepared they are to handle a disaster. Although disasters can be chaotic, having an organized home can reduce the amount of anxiety and stress you confront. Ready America recommends getting a kit, making a plan and being informed, which all encourage organization.
To help you prepare we are sharing the basic items you need in an emergency kit:
- Water, one gallon per person
- Food, three-day supply of non-perishables
- Bedding and clothing
- Battery powered radio with extra batteries
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air
- Moist towelettes and garbage bags for personal sanitation
- Can opener for canned goods
- Local maps
- Extra cell phone batteries or a solar charger
To receive alerts from local governments around the D.C. area visit http://www.capitalert.gov.
Image from Nation Preparedness Month.